The Arizona Tax Credit Program (A.R.S. 43-1089.01) allows any Arizona taxpayer to donate up to $400* to a school of their choice in support of extracurricular programs and get their entire donation back in the form of a tax credit. Taxpayers who donate by April 15 can choose which calendar year they want to apply the credits. For example, a donation can be applied to either 2016 or 2017.
*Individuals and couples filing jointly may take advantage of this tax credit. A maximum of $200 can be deducted per individual tax return; couples filing a joint return may deduct a maximum of $400.
Arizona Department of Revenue Guidelines
- The credit is applied against the taxpayer’s state income taxes.
- Extracurricular activities” are defined as . . . “school-sponsored educational and recreational activities that require enrolled students to pay a fee in order to participate.”
- Checks must be made payable to the school.
- The credit is available for any personal income tax return. It is not a requirement that the taxpayer have a child enrolled in the public school.
- The credit is limited to $200 per individual tax return and $400 if the credit is claimed on a tax return of a married couple.
*Note Mountain Pointe Boys Basketball as the recipient